Wednesday 16 September 2015

Reading Festival Diary

Hi Guys,

I know it's a bit late, but better late than never eh? This year I attended Reading Festival for my sixth year in a row. I had a bloody blast with some amazing people so I thought I would talk you guys through my highs and lows of Reading Festival.


We arrived at Reading Festival at around 4pm on Wednesday 26th August, the queue entering the campsite was pretty rammed due to lack of staff upon entry. But thanks to my faithful trolley I bought from Amazon the trek to the campsite wasn't too traumatic. Once we had everything set up we could finally commence enjoying ourselves.

Reading Festival Favourite Moments -

It has to be Baby Metal, they opened the main stage on the Saturday morning, me, Dan, Meghan and Heather all went to check them out just for a laugh due to them being such an odd concept, but they were actually such a fun band to watch and the music was pretty good too! Also skipping around a mosh pit with Meghan at Cancer Bats to their sabotage anthem, unfortunately in the commotion I was knocked over and had a pile of people on top of me. But with most mosh pits, the occupants are pretty quick to pick everyone up, dust them off and carry on moshing, (don't worry I didn't have any injuries).


Reading Festival Least Favourite Moments - 

I really hate to say this, but it has to be Royal Blood's performance, which is frustrating to say the least. Me and Dan had seen Royal Blood at last year's Reading Festival in the NME tent and I got really into Royal Blood after then as I was so blown away by their performance. This year on the other hand, Royal Blood performed on the main stage and in my opinion, they didn't have enough material to fill the assigned time slot, they had a lot of guitar distortion to fill silences. Unfortunately the lead singer seemed like he had taken MDMA as he had the classic "gurning" motion of constantly chewing which disturbed the vocals.  I was just completely disappointed with them to the point towards the end of their set, I couldn't be bothered to waste my time with their performance anymore so we left early. My second least favourite moment was seeing a "band" called Years and Years (uuuuugh), our friend Heather (was) a fan of Years and Years so she wanted to check them out so we said we would go with her, oh how we would go on to rue that decision. Years and Years is every stereotypical manufactured pop act you could you think of rolled into generic lyrics and lazy dance beats. These factors alone make Years and Years pretty dire.

Reading Festival Surprise Best Acts -

My inner teen has always been really into Panic! at the Disco so I thought for old times sake I would go check out their set. Bloody hell! Blown away with how good they were, they did a rendition of Bohemian Rhapsody which was fantastic and had the whole crowd singing along. Not only that but Brendon Urie's vocal range was absolutely mind blowing, the notes he hit had us all standing in awe. Such an underrated band and I would thoroughly recommend checking them out if you get the chance. Not to forget Mister Jamie T of course, now I've always been aware of Jamie T and his music. I know the classics such as Zombie, Sticks and Stones and Sheila but never massively followed him. Jamie T played the Sunday evening so we thought we would check him out and he was so fun to watch, after a drink or two everyone was dancing around to his hits and singing along. 



Reading Festival Regrets - 

I have to say my main major regret is not seeing Bring Me The Horizon, I've just got their latest album "That's the Spirit", it's a cracking album and I've heard BMTH are a really fantastic live act. I actually have no idea why I didn't see them but definitely wish I did, maybe next time.

All in all, like the past six years, Reading Festival was an absolute blast full of laughs and memories, but by the time I woke up Sunday morning I just looked at Dan and said "I'm too old for this", as much as I love Reading, it's full of 'kids' celebrating their GCSE results and once upon a time I was one of those 'kids' but I think it might be time to move on to pastures new. (I do also say I'm not going to go to Reading Festival every year due to this exact reason but still end up going, but it's completely dependent upon the line up, who knows).

All my love,

Bex







No comments:

Post a Comment